find out more about Manorial Records please visit:
History and Origins
The name Lindley comes
from the old English for a clearing in the midst of lime trees, Lind - meaning
lime tree and Ley - meaning clearing. The place name Lindley occurs at least
four times in the West Riding of Yorkshire, Old Lindley and Nether Lindley (
between Elland and Huddersfield), Lindley in the ancient parish of Otley and
Lindley in Healingly a lost locality. There are at least two distinct surnames
derived from these and they cannot always be kept apart. What follows is an
account of the Otley family drawn from various sources. The Lindley's took
their name from the hamlet of Lindley near the township of Otley now represented
by Lindley Hall, a substantial farm on the northern side of the reservoir of
the Washburn Valley.
Lindley was one of the
small hamlets of the Liberty of Otley which came into being in 937 AD by a grant
to the Archbishop of York by King Athelstan after the battle of Brunanburgh The
Liberty was cantered around Otley, the market town with church, court house,
pinfold the Archbishops Hall and chapel.
custom of identifying a person by his place of origin seems to have started in
the Saxon times but did not become common until Norman times and in many cases
much later. Early references to the surname may be unrelated
individuals, many occur in undated deeds, but it is fair to assume
that the Lindley name was an hereditary surname from the 1200's.
Lindley to appear in writing was a Sivard and Thomas de Lindele in the York
Assize Court Rolls in 1204. Folcasuis, known as Falk appears in the Extent of
Otley in 1307, his son William was in Otley in 1292.
In the 1200's a certain Edard or Udart
de Lindley was farming the land around Lindley Hall, his grandson William
de Lindley was betrothed to Alice Fulk of Wakefield. Alice was well
connected as her father known as Fulk the Butler was a manservant to the
Archbishop of York, as a result of his connections to the Archbishop
Fulk was enabled to buy half the Manor of Farnley as a wedding present for Alice
and son-in-law William de Lindley and as a result of this it marked the rise to
prominence of the Lindley's who throughout the middle ages were to become an
important family in Yorkshire.
Sometime in the
12th century the Lindley's moved to the next township of Leathley when the
township became part of the Forest of Knaresborough but returned to Lindley
after the signing of the Magna Carta.
A Robert de Lindeley was at Lindley in 1378 and is described as an Armiger, a William de
Lindley became Lord of Farnley a township to the east in about 1230, the
Lindley's continued as Lords of the Manor of Leathley until the 1524 period when
Isobel the sole heiress of Thomas Lindley of Lindley married Brian Palmes of a
York family. During this time the Lindley's became established at Otley and are
named in many records.
Sometime during the 15th century a branch of
the family became established at Leathley and at Skutterskelf in Cleveland,
this is shown in the Will of Thomas Lindley gent., in which he mentions his son
and heir Percival and William Lindley of Leathley, amongst his possessions
he mentions "My suit of armour in the tower at Hexham". In a
footnote of the extract of the will there is a reference to Skutterskelf and the
Gower family, So now we have
an ancient family land owning and with some influence in three locations,
Lindley, Leathley and Skutterskelf in Cleveland.
To find out more about the
armigerous connections of the Lindley's we must turn to the Heralds Visitations
of the 16th and 17th centuries and Glovers Ordinary, these show clearly that
the three branches of the family were arms bearing.
The original Arms of the
family were "Argent on a Chief Sable three Griffins heads erased Argent" this is
a simple design and almost certainly of an early period as shields tended to be
of a simple pattern in earlier times. The three branches of the
family had differences to distinguish them from each other.
Lindley of Lindley ARMS:
Argent on a chief Sable 3 Griffin heads erased Argent
Lindley's Will of 1439 he leaves his son and heir Percival his land and
property in Lindley and personal effects of silver spoons and covered cups.
Percival his son is mentioned in records of Otley dated June 3rd 18 Edward
(1478) that he holds land and tenements in Lindley by Military service. Most
influential people of this period had some connection with the Military such as
Lords of the Manor who, because of the land and property they owned they were
expected to provide men and arms in support of the King.
In the Will of Thomas Lindley of
Lindley 1439, he mentions 'My Brother Robert' as well as Percival below.
(See notes about
Robert Lindley).( My thanks to John
Lindley of North Yorkshire for the information)
of 1495 mentions land in
Skegby, Nottinghamshire and he leaves this as well as
personal effects to his son and heir Thomas. Other bequests were also made to
the Churches of Otley and Leathley and the Chapels of Stainburn and Farnley.
In 1513 Thomas
had exchanged land in Stainburn for the Abbeys (Fountains) tofts in Otley.
Will of 1524 it shows that he had no male heir, but had two co-heiresses, his
daughters, Isabel and Elizabeth. The two daughters both married into arms
bearing families, Isabel into the York family of Palmes and Elizabeth into the
family of Everingham.
On the death of
Thomas in 1524 not having a male heir the Lindley family of Lindley ceased and
the Palmes family through the marriage of Isabel to Bryan Palmes became the
principal owner of the Manor of Lindley. However, Bryan Palmes only lived for
a further three years leaving his son Francis to continue the Palmes line at
Lindley. Isabel Palmes (nee Lindley) then married Sir Thomas Johnson of
Arms - Argent on a chief Sable three
griffins heads erased Argent
Vol 3 Fol 584
(Record Series) Vol X111 Page 15
Prob Reg V 3 ff 338 R-V
Abbey Lease Book Page 256
Vol 9 Fol 291
V11B f 513 r Lyndley Lindley
Lindley of Leathley
Leathley St Oswalds
A branch of the Lindley's had been established at Leathley by the mid fifteenth century as
William Lindley of Leathley was mentioned in the Will of 1539 of Thomas Lindley
Visitation of 1612 shows a pedigree of a Christopher Lyndley clearly as the head
of the family in the early part of the sixteenth century. The Will of
Christopher Lyndley of 1540 shows him to be a wealthy man with the number of
farms he bequeathed to various members of his family. Christopher had several
sons, but with Lawrence being his heir.
ARMS: Ermine on a Chief Sable 3 Eagles heads erased Argent
14th Century Tower
South East Front
The hall stands on a
elevated site on the slope of a hill, south of Bradford, commands wide views
over the adjoining countryside. The ground to the west of the hall slopes
steeply away offering a good natural defence and the other may have been
protected by a wall and ditch. The hall has two fronts, the south, flanked
at each end by a square tower, and the north, a centre with two wings. At
first glance the building appears to be symmetrical but closer study of the
south front shows that although the doors match the windows on each side of the
hall are balanced they are of different kinds. It has taken several centuries
of alterations and additions to the existing medieval building to bring about
Caroline Lindley Nee Finch
The Younger Frances
The term housebody was used
in the West Riding in the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries for the room which
was the most important in the house. the significance of the present housebody
in the seventeenth century can be gauged from the size of the window, which
contains and important collection of heraldic stained glass. Much of this
glass had been removed from Bolling Hall in 1825 and had been taken to Copt
Hewick Hall near Ripon, but in 1949 it was presented back to the city by Mr.
R.R. Ackernley, through the Bradford Historical and Antiquarian Society. Also
included in the gift were nine armorial panels of a later date from another of
the Copt Hewick windows. They were all immediately taken to York to be cleaned
and repaired for they were still covered by black paint, and it was there
discovered that the Bolling glass was both older and more interesting than had
been assumed. It was also in its original lead. It was then decided to place
all the glass which was associated with the Bolling armorial glass in the Copt
Hewick window in the two lower tiers of the dining hall window. The quarries
and panes which had been found in the tower shaft were moved to the top row of
lights and the six modern shields placed in the window of the central
staircase. As this had rather pseudo-Gothic arrangement in plain glass these
shields improved it's appearance immensely. The nine later panels, which were
larger than the older glass, were inserted in the lower panes of the two late
eighteenth century windows of Room 9, once Captain Charles Wood's dining room.
The Central Hall
Mrs Lindley's House Book
Detail of House book
There are now
forty-seven shields, panes and quarries in the middle and bottom row of lights
in the dining hall window. Of these the most important is a set of twenty-four
shields of arms surrounded by wreaths. These are nearly all of early sixteenth
century date and the wreaths with one exception are in black enamel and yellow
stain. There is also a set of six seventeenth century quarries bearing the
arms of local families and a shield of a different type in a small pane. These
are in enamel colours. Four panes bear ciphers. Two of these have obviously
been part of a set and have the monograms W.C. and S.C. and the date 1690;
above the initials in the surrounding foliage decoration is written William
Clifton and Susannah Clifton. Another pane with three figures, apparently
those of Susannah and the Elders, may have been part of the set. On one pane
is a true lover's knot and the initials I.I.E. with the sun above; on another I.I. in a true lover's knot with a purple tulip above and the date 1703 below.
A set of eight allegorical panes of Dutch or Flemish work is of a kind often
found in English houses in the seventeenth century. there are two badly
damaged Dutch panes with animals and a church quarry with a bird in black enamel
Another View of the Central Hall
The shields in
wreaths which make slightly irregular circles between eleven and twelve inches
in diameter are in the following order, in a double row in the ten bottom
lights with the remaining four in the middle tier. The list begins from the
left of the photograph with the upper shield in each light given first. Where
a name is in italics it means that the name in that form is written over the
shield; unless it is stated otherwise the initial letter is in the round
Lombardic form and the remainder in the black letter which began to oust it in
the fifteenth century. They are all scraped out of the black enamel. Unless
a charge is said to be abraded it is leaded in separately.
1 a. Gules a
fess argent bewteen 3 water bougets ermine - Meeres
a fess between 3 fleur de lys argent - Welby
Quarterly 1 and 4 Or a lion azure (Percy) 2 and 3 Gules 3 luces (pikes)
argent (Lucy) - Northumberland The luces are abraded.
3 hammers sable (Hamberton impaling Argent a bend between 6 stormcocks sable Tempest) -
Hamton This shield has been repaired
Quarterly within a border gobony azure and ermine 1 and 4 France
modern 2 and 3 England - My lady the king's mother. Margaret
Countess of Richmond and Derby, mother of Henry V11. The
leopards are abraded.
b. Gules 3
tirrits or (Tyrrwhit)- Tirwhite, A punning or cantling coat. Tirrits are lapwings. The gold is yellow stain.
4 a. Gules 3
scallop shells argent - Dacre.
azure and or a fess gules - Clifford. The name is almost obliterated Clifford of Skipton. The gold is yellow
5 a. Sable an
escutcheon ermine an orle of marlets argent - Bolling.The name was there but has been deliberately scratched away.
Quarterly, 1 Argent on a bend sable 3 bucks heads or (Stanley). 2 Gules
3 legs conjoined argent spurred or (Affleck of Man). 3 Chequy or and azure (Warenne). 4 Or on a chief azure 3 plates (Lathom)
- Stanley. The bucks heads are in yellow stain applied to the plain
glass. the shield is fifteenth century and is in a green wreath.
6 a. Tempest
impaling sable fretty argent a label of 3 points gules
(Harington) - Tempest with a black letter initial. The
label is probably a patch.
as above but on an escutcheon of pretence azure a lion argent
- Stanley with a black letter initial. The bend in the first
quarter is azure and the legs of Man are abraded. All the gold is yellow
7 a. Gules a
bend ermine (Rye of Bosberton) - Tempest.
Quarterly, 1 and 4 Azure a bend or (Scroope) 2 and 3 argent a saltire
engrailed gules (Tiptoft) - Scrappe.
Scroope of Bolton.
Quarterly, 1 and 4 England 2 and 3 France modern a lable of 3 points argent. Probably the arms of Arthur Tudor, elder brother of Henry V111 The eopards are abraded.
b. Gules 2
chevrons argent an annulet of the second - Pannel The name is
9 a. Gules 3
chevronels braced argent on a chief azure a leopard passant or -
Mallam. This is Malham of Elslack. the detail of the leopard has pratically disappeared.
b. Or a
lion azure - Percy of Northumberland. This is a fourteenth century shield made up of twenty six separate pieces. The pot-metal gold is
diapered with black enamel.
10a. Gules 3
running greyhounds argent collared or (Mauleverer) - The king f
England. This heading is a mistake. Possibly some glazier working
from a rough sketch mistook the greyhounds for the leopards of
England. It is a canting coat; the French word for
greyhound is levrier. b. Sable
2 lions passant argent crowned or - Dymock. Dymoke
The second row of lights:-
patched shield with a green cross. The 3rd quarter appears to be part of a larger Tempest shield -
Bischop of ...
argent a cross sable impaling argent on a cross gules a bezant.
Sinister quarterly or and gules 1 and 4 a marlet
vert - Puresme. So far this shield has not been identified and it may be a patch.
on a bend sinister sable a bezant - Pynchbek
Quarterly of six. 1 Gules on a saltire argent a pellet (probably an annuletis intended for Neville, Lord Latimer). 2 Gules a fess between 4 crosslets or (Beauchamp of Warwick). 3 Chequy azure and or
a chevron ermine (Newburgh).4 Gules a chevron between 4
crosses formy argent
(Berkeley). 5 Gules a leopard argent crowned or (Gerold for Lisle).
Argent a chevron gules (Tyas) - Lattemar. Neville, Lord Latimer.
is yellow stain. There should be 6 crosslets in the Beauchamp
quarter and 10 crosses in the Berkeley but they are leaded in, not
abraded and the glass painter obviously found the space at his
disposal too small.
The set of seventeenth
century quarries is in the two central lights .From top to bottom they are as
5 a. Gules a
fess between 6 garbs or - Midgeley.
b. Argent a
lion's head between 3 bugle horns stringed sable - Bradford of Heath.
c. Argent a
chevron sable between 3 thorn trees proper - Thornton of Tyersal.
6 a. Argent a
cockatrice sable - Langley.
b. Argent 2
bars sable each charged with 3 mullets or -Hopton
10 Gules 3
acorns slipped or - motto Vitria Vita. Probably the arms of de
Hennezel, a family of glass painters who left the Continent during the religious persecutions and settled in Staffordshire and Gateshead on Tyne.
The Blue Room
J. C. Brook ,
F.S.A., Somerset Herald, visited the Hall in 1774 and possibly again in 1783,
while collecting material for his History of Yorkshire. He died before it was
written but his manuscripts are at the College of Arms and the authorities their
kindly allowed access to them. He listed the arms as follows, commenting that
some were ancient and had the names written over them:-
The Housebody Window
1, Pinchbeck; 2,
Dacre; 3, Mallom; 4, Gules 3 ..... passant argent. This is
probably the Mauleverer shield although Brook does not say so. 5, Or a lion
rampant azure - Lacy. This a probably a copyist's error for Percy. 6,
Northumberland; 7, Gules a fess between 3 water bougets ermine. This is
the Meeres shield 8, Clifford; 9, Scroope and Tiptoft; 10, Sable 2 bars inter
3 Fleur de lys argent - Welby. This shield is made up of two pieces of
glass and it is the lead join which makes the fess look like two bars. 11,
Panell; 12, Tempest impaling argent fretty and a canton sable - Middleton of
Stockeld. This is the Tempest/Harington shield. There is no canton sable now
but perhaps the upper part of the sinister half is a patch. 13, Sable an
escutcheon ermine an orle of owls argent - Bowling. The birds are marlets.
14, France modern quartering England a label of 3 points argent - Prince of
Wales. The quarters are reverse. 15, Broken, but " & Tempest" written over
it. This may be the patched shield in the second light of the middle row but it
distinctly begins with Bischop and does not seem to follow " & Tempest" 16,
Dymmok; 17, My Lady the King's Mother; 18, Stanley. Probably the
earlier unnamed shield is intended here. 19, ---quarterly or and gules in 1st
and 4th a parrot vert. This must be the Puresme coat. 20,
He also lists the seven
shields in enamel colours now in the central lights and in addition gives the
1, Argent on a chief sable
3 griffins heads erased argent with helm and mantle. This is for Lindley. 2,
Ermine 3 lozenges conjoined in fess sable. Crest on a wreath a wolf's head
erased - Pigott; 3, Argent a chevron inter 3 griffins passant sable. Crest a
Pegasus - Finch. Francis Lindley 11 married Carolina Finch, 4, Azure on a
mount vert 3 naked men in fesse with clubs and shields. Crest a like naked man
- Wood; 5, On a wreath argent and sable a Pegasus rising argent winged and
ducally charged or -Finch; 6, On a wreath argent and sable a griffin passant
argent beaked or - Lindley. There was a second Lindley crest and F.L. in a
cipher with 1695 below and F.C.L. 1696 for Francis Lindley and Carolina Finch.
In a staircase window were
the following arms which Brook said were old:-
1, Tyrrwhit; 2,
Hamerton; 3, Stanley with quarterings as in number 18. This is
probably the later coat as it was apparently named although Brook does not
mention the Montalt escutcheon. 4, Rye - Tempest. Also the motto "Lowyf
as thou fynds". This is still in Bolling Hall and in a staircase window
although probably not the same one. When Mr. Mason left Bolling he sent the
glass quarries on which the motto is given four times, to Colonel Plumbe
Tempest of Tong Hall sine the Tempests of Tong were descended from the Tempests
of Bolling and this was their motto. The late Mrs. H.F.M. Tempest gave the
glass to the city when Bolling Hall became as Museum.
In the glass door leading
into the garden:-
1, Sable 3 tigers' heads
erased argent impaling Tempest - Halsall; 2, Argent 3 boars' heads
erased sable (Booth) quartering argent a fess engrailed sable - Boothe;
3, Lindley crest. This door has not been identified but may have been the
present south entrance.
In a window of the
1. Tempest quartering
Hebdon ermine a fess lozengy gules; 2, Chequy or and azure a fess gules -
Clifford. Two other broken shields.
It will be observed that
all the shields which Brook saw in the window of the dining hall have survived
with the exception of the Lindley, Finch, Pigott and Wood arms, crests and
ciphers, so have the shields in the staircase window. Whether the "fragments
of evident antiquity" seen by Cudworth were the remains of the arms in the
garden and the gallery will probably never be known.
When the stonework of
windows was renewed in 1963, the glass was resisted to better advantage. Most
of the twenty four shields in the window date from about 1500 and relate to the
development of the Hall by the Tempests in the early sixteenth century. The
Bolling and Tempest Arms are here, together with those shown of many other
families, some of whom are connected with the Tempests. the small panes of
stained glass are mainly seventeenth century in date, some of them were
originally at Bierley Hall.
The Lindley connection
The Hall had many well
known inhabitants including Ilbert de Lacy and Sir Richard Tempest. Sir Henry
Savile of Thornhill Green bought the Hall in 1649 from the Tempest family and
liver there for twenty years before selling to Francis Lindley of Hull (grandson
of Nicholas Lindley Lord Mayor of Hull and a younger brother of the ancient
family of Lindley of Lindley), the arms of which are Argent on a chief sable 3
griffins heads erased argent in the fess point a trefoil slipped gules.
Francis Lindley took possession of the Hall in 1680 but probably never lived
there and died in the following year.
The son of Francis also a
Francis married a Caroline Finch of Kent in 1695, he was High Sheriff of of the
county of Lancaster and Keeper of the West Riding Registers. The Hall
eventually passed to Francis Lindley Wood and through him to Lord Halifax.
Extracts from The Bradford Antiquary New Series Part xxxix, 1958
at Bolling Hall by Sylvia C. Priest, M.A.
HISTORIC BUILDINGS AND THE LINDLEY'S
Before the Norman conquest
the lands around Middleham were owned by Gilpatric but in 1069 they were granted
to Alan the Red, son of count Eudo of Penthievre in Britony and one of William
the Conqueror's chief supporters.
Alan built his principal
castle (probably the motte and bailey style) at Richmond. Before 1080
Middleham was granted by Alan to his brother Ribald and the property remained
with his descendants until 1270 when the last of the line died without male
In 1270 Middleham passed by
marriage to Richard de Nevill and this illustrious family who had Middleham in
their possession until 1471 when Richard, Earl of Warwick was slain at the
battle of Barnet and Richard, Duke of Gloucester (later Richard 111) was
granted Warwick's estates north of the Trent which included Middleham. Richard
died in 1485 and Middleham and it's estates were seised by Henry 7 and remained
in Royal ownership until 1604.
The Lindley Connection
In 1604 the castle was
granted by James 1 to Sir Henry Lindley (son of Lawrence Lindley of Leathley).
In Sir Henry's Will of 1609 (Borthwick Institute) he mentions "my castle at
Middleham" and there is record of occupation during the Lindley ownership.
After Sir Henry's death his brother John Lindley of Leathley took over the
In 1613 the castle passed
to Edward 2nd Viscount Loftus by his marriage to Jane Lindley of Leathley,
daughter of John Lindley of Leathley, so here again we have proof of the
Lindley influence in Yorkshire.
Views of Middleham
Arms Bearing Families
and the Lindley's
The Lindley's married into
many prominent families both from the north of England and further a field, the
following is a list of the families and their arms and some pedigrees.
1 BANKE OF BANKE NEWTON
Arms - Sable a cross
engrailed between four fleur de lis argent
2 BRANDLING OF LEATHLEY
Arms - Gules a cross flory
Argent in the dexter chief point an escallop Or a crescent for difference
3 CATRALL OF RATHMELL
Arms - Azure 3 mascles Or
overall a bendlet Gules
Arms - Or a Raven proper
Arms - Ermines a lion
6 EVERINGHAM Co YORK
Arms - Gules a lion rampant
vair crowned Or
7 FAWKES OF WOODHALL
Arms - Ermine a mascle
8 FINCH OF KENT
Arms - Argent a chevron
between three griffins passant
Arms - Gules a bend between
two dolphins embowed Argent
10 GOWER OF SEXHOW
Arms - Azure a chevron
between three hounds Argent
Visitation of Yorkshire
1612 page 541 states that the hounds are sejant, but Papworth does not
describe the hounds position
Arms - Or a maunch Sable
12 LEVITT OF MELTON
Arms - Sable a fess
embattled between three leopards heads erased Argent langued Gules
13 PALMES OF NABURNE
Arms - Gules three fleur de
lis Argent a chief Vair a crescent for difference
I n the Fountains Abbey Leasebook dated lst July 30 Henry V111 (1538) (Yorkshire
ref 140 Doncaster Library) there is a reference on page 258 to the appointment
of a steward of court and auditor.
Appointment of Steward of
Court and Auditor.
A grant by Abbot Marmaduke
and the Convent of Fountains (by their unanimous agreement) to Christopher
Lindley of Leathley for the faithful service he has done in the past to the
abbot and convent and their monastery, of the office of steward of courts of
the the manors, lands and tenements in Yorkshire except their courts in the
county of Craven and also these presents appoint him auditor of stock of the
monastery, to hold this office for life, he or his deputy to take 26s 8d per
annum for exercising the office and 10s for the office of Auditor.
This evidence is proof of
the power and influence of the Lindley's of Leathley in their stewardship of
Fountains Abbey and indeed the surrounding area.
died in 1540 (Will 1540 Borthwick Institute) but was probably doing the job for
many years prior to the grant of 1538.
The Otley Brass
(All Saints' Church Otley)
Otley All Saints
Genealogical Plate of the
Lynlay and Palmes Family 1593
The Otley Brass
The Otley brass is one of
the most well known monumental inscriptions of any church in Yorkshire, if not
the country and one that has been recorded many times.
From the inscription on the
last roundel recording the pedigree of the Palmes family, viz, "Francis cum
hered Hadnall Supertes 1593", it may be inferred that this very curious and
interesting plate was erected by Francis Palmes during his lifetime, to set
forth the alliance of the Lyndlay and Palmes families, and to state that many
of the Lyndlay's and the last two of the Palmes were buried in the church. The
accompanying illustration reproduced from a very careful rubbing taken by Mr. A.
Ridley Bax, F.S.A., in 1895, will best explain the design of this plate. In
the lower part is the figure of a man (Francis Palmes) recumbent on a mattress,
one end of which is curled up to form a pillow for the head. He is represented
with beard and moustache, the hands raised in prayer, and wears a ruff, doublet
and short cloak. By his side is a sword. From this figure springs a tree,
with roundels bearing the names and recording the various alliances of the
Lyndlay family on the dexter, and of the Palmes family on the sinister side,
these unite with the marriage of Brian Palmes with Isobel, daughter and
co-heiress of Thomas Lyndlay. This Brian died on the 19th of October, 1528,
aged 29, and was succeeded by his son Francis, who married Margaret daughter
of Roger Corbett of Norton Shropshire. He died in 1568, aged 44 and was
succeeded by his son Francis, the erector of this plate.
In the centre of the upper
part of the plate is a shield, surmounted by a helmet, crest and mantling.
The shield is blazoned as follows-
Quarterly of six 1 and 6
Gules three fleur de lis Argent a chief Vair with a crescent for difference -
PALMES 2 Ermines a lion passant Gules - DREW 3 Gules a bend between two
dolphins embowed Argent - FRENCH 4 Argent on a bend Azure three mullets Argent
- WYNARD 5 Argent on a chief Sable three griffins heads erased Argent - LYNDLAY
Crest - A hand holding a
palm branch proper charged on the wrist with a crescent for difference -PALMES
Below the shield is the
motto Justus vt Palma
At the four corners of the
plate are shields, viz, (upper dexter) Lyndlay, (upper sinister) Palmes, (lower
dexter) Or a maunche Sable - HADNALL (lower sinister) Or a raven proper -
At the head of the plate
are two Latin verses, which translated read-
No figment of the herald's craft, nor venally procured,
These ancient monuments declare a race of worth assured.
Most of the Lindlay's ancient stock within these walls do lie
The two last corpses of the Palmes' are also layed there-by
Assur'ed fame is not of man - idle his every deed,
Nor does illustrious descent alone to honour tend. That
masterpiece of truth, the just like Palmes shall flourish wide,
For the rich virtues of the soul no sepulchre can hide.
The plate which measures
29.5 by 17.5 inches, is affixed to the wall of the North transept.
Francis Palmes, of Lyndley,
a justice of the peace for the West Riding of Yorkshire in the second year of
King James, married Mary, daughter and co-heiress of Stephen Hadnall of
Shervil in the county of Southampton.
Arms- Argent on a bend
Sable three griffins heads erased Argent
This branch of the Lindley's
was noted in Dalton's Visitation to Durham in 1558 and also St. George's
visitation to Yorkshire in 1612. Thomas Lindley of Scutterskelf appears to be
be last of his line as the property was divided between his three daughters.
In his Will of 1530 he is leaving property and goods to the Latons, Kighleys
and Milner families of which his three daughters had married into, all these
families were arms bearing.
In the Heralds Visitation
of Yorkshire 1575 it shows the Latons of Sexhow quartering that of Lindley of
Scutterskelf and Gower of Sexhow.
Rudby all Saints'
Church (Hutton Rudby)
The parish of Rudby-in-Cleveland
lies astride the River Leven at the foot of the Cleveland Hills and today is
made up of Hutton and Rudby townships as well as the chapelry of Middleton-on-Leven.
Immediately after the Norman invasion of 1066, however, the parish included
Hutton, Whorlton, Hilton, Middleton and Rownton, all seventh century Angle
settlements, together with Rudby, Seamer, Skutterskelf, Sexhow, Braworth and
Thoraldby, all of ninth century Danish origin, infilling the land between the
Angle settlements. At this time, Rudby parish was in the hands of Robert
Mortain, half brother to William the Conqueror.
The Doomsday Book entry of
1086 shows that North Yorkshire suffered badly from William's "Harrying of the
North" in 1069/70 - only Middleton and Whorlton remained inhabited - but mention
is made of a, presumably pre-conquest, church at Hutton.
The exact site of this
first church is not known, but it's presence specifically in the Hutton area
indicates that it is unlikely to have occupied the site of the present All
All Saints' church dates
from the second half of the twelfth century, typical of a period which saw a
nationwide replacement of pre-conquest timber churches with Norman stone
Built half way between
Hutton and Rudby, it's position is something of a mystery. It was not situated
near a manor house and is particularly unsuitable as a place of defence or
refuge, being at the foot of two hills. One possibility is that it was seen
as a site for some sort of monastic institution, since the location itself is
reminiscent on a smaller scale of big monastic sites such as Fountains,
Rievaulx, Easby and Kirkham. The attractive setting of All Saints' "in the
glade by the Leven" must remain something of an enigma, as does the date,
origin and uses of the moated area (now the graveyard) to the north of the
There are two features that
connect the Lindley family with the church they are the Elizabethan pulpit and
the Thomas Mylner memorial.
The Elizabethan pulpit
This is the church's
greatest treasure, Pevsner, in his excellent "Yorkshire : North Riding" (1966)
calls it "a delightful and precious piece". It's square box shape is unusual
and it's inlaid marquetry panels were re-discovered by chance earlier this
century, after being hidden for years under five coats of paint. It was given
in 1594 by Thomas Milner, a member of the local Linly family, who intermarried
with the Laytons of Sexhow.
On the pulpit is a shield
in wood. Quarterly 1 and 4 (Argent) on a chief (Sable) three griffins heads
erased (Argent) - LINDLEY 2 and 3 A chevron between three talbots passant -
?- I believe this to be the arms of Gower who married into the Lindley family
in earlier times.
On the North wall opposite
the pulpit is an impressive stone memorial to Thomas Mylner, the shield above
being in very poor condition, but appears to have been the same as that on the
The text in modern form is-
Esquire married Margery the second
daughter of Sir
Thomas Newport Knight and
Elizabeth, married to Joseph Sorthwaitl
Esquire who had issue Thomas Mylner
Frances the daughter of William
who had issue Mary who was married
Layton Esquire and had issue
Here lyeth the
body of Thomas Mylner deceased
All the three branches of
Lindley of Lindley, Leathley and Sckutterskelf show in their pedigrees they
married into arms bearing families in the north of England and later extended
their lands and influence into Nottingham and Kent as can be seen from the
Burkes General Armory gives
on gives on page 609
1- Lindley of Skegby
(Notts) Extinct in the male line in 1758 on the death of John Lindley, Esq., of
Arms- Argent on a chief
Sable three griffin heads erased Argent.
2- Sir Henry Lindley (of
Leathley Knighted on the field at Ofally 30th July 1599 at the rising of the
camp immediately after the battle.
Arms - Sable on a chief
Argent three eaglets displayed Sable.
3- Lindley of Middleham
Castle Impalment (marriage arms) on a funeral certificate entry, Ulster Office
1680 Edward Loftus of Ely, whose wife was Jane daughter of Arthur Lindley of
Arms - Sable a chevron
Ermine between three trefoils slipped Or - LOFTUS.
Page 632 gives a different
spelling of the name as Lyndley of Lyndley Co. York
4- William Lyndley eldest
son of Percival Lyndley temp. Henry V1 (1422-1461) left two daughters his
co-heiresses (Visitation of Notts 1614)
Arms as No. 1.
5- Lyndley of Skegby Co.
Francis Lyndley (Visitation
of Notts 1614) great grandson of Thomas Lyndley second son of Percival Lyndley,
Esq., Co. York temp. Henry V1 (1422-1461)
Arms as No. 1.
The Lindley's were certainly
a big land and property owning family in Yorkshire, Nottinghamshire and Kent,
this is clear from the various Wills which mention the above places. They
married into many arms bearing families as can be observed from the various
Visitations and pedigrees.
The direct male line of the
family appears to have died out, but more research would need to be done to
trace the second and subsequent sons as the name is quite prolific in many parts
of Yorkshire today.
of Yorkshire in 1612 clearly blazons on page 547 the arms of Lindley of Leathley
as - Argent on a chief Sable three griffins heads erased Argent.
The Manuscript document
attached Minster Library MS/Add/164/1 blazons the arms of Lindley of Leathley as
- Ermine on a chief Sable three eaglets heads erased Argent.
The Manuscript was compiled
by John Hopkinson in the late 18th or early 19th century who was a genealogist
and historian of some repute in Yorkshire. The manuscript gives the pedigree
of Christopher Lindley of Leathley which is the same as the Visitation of 1612.
T. D. Whitaker
Vol.2 page 78 1816 a Yorkshire historian also blazons Lindley of Leathley arms
as - Ermine on a chief Sable three eaglets heads erased Argent.
I cannot find
any arms in Papworth or Burkes General Armoury for Lindley of Leathley, only
for Lindley of Lindley.
The only conclusion I have
(a) A new grant was made by the College of Arms after the last of the visitation in 1684.
(b) The Manuscript document is incorrect as far as the blazonis
concerned, the only way to prove this
would be to contact the College of Arms and ask them to check the grants.
My thanks to John Lindley of
Wigginton North Yorks for his comments on the early Lindley's
My thanks to Hugh Murray of York, who is an
expert on Heraldry and has verified that the Arms are correct.
Also to Dr G. Redmonds for his assistance in
the 'Origins' of Lindley.
Please note that that there are no comers,
full stops in describing coats of arms.
Back to Home