find out more about Manorial Records please visit:
History and Origins
Lindley comes from the old English for a clearing in the
midst of lime trees, Lind - meaning lime tree and Ley -
meaning clearing. The place name Lindley occurs at least
four times in the West Riding of Yorkshire, Old Lindley and
Nether Lindley ( between Elland and Huddersfield), Lindley
in the ancient parish of Otley and Lindley in Healingly a
lost locality. There are at least two distinct surnames
derived from these and they cannot always be kept apart.
What follows is an account of the Otley family drawn from
various sources. The Lindley's took their name from the
hamlet of Lindley near the township of Otley now represented
by Lindley Hall, a substantial farm on the northern side of
the reservoir of the Washburn Valley.
Lindley was one of the
small hamlets of the Liberty of Otley which came into being
in 937 AD by a grant to the Archbishop of York by King
Athelstan after the battle of Brunanburgh The Liberty was
cantered around Otley, the market town with church, court
house, pinfold the Archbishops Hall and chapel.
custom of identifying a person by his place of origin seems
to have started in the Saxon times but did not become common
until Norman times and in many cases much later. Early
references to the surname may be unrelated individuals, many
occur in undated deeds, but it is fair to assume that the
Lindley name was an hereditary surname from the 1200's.
The first Lindley to
appear in writing was a Sivard and Thomas de Lindele in the
York Assize Court Rolls in 1204. Folcasuis, known as Falk
appears in the Extent of Otley in 1307, his son William was
in Otley in 1292.
1200's a certain Edard or Udart de Lindley was farming the
land around Lindley Hall, his grandson William de Lindley
was betrothed to Alice Fulk of Wakefield. Alice was well
connected as her father known as Fulk the Butler was a
manservant to the Archbishop of York, as a result of his
connections to the Archbishop Fulk was enabled to buy half
the Manor of Farnley as a wedding present for Alice and
son-in-law William de Lindley and as a result of this it
marked the rise to prominence of the Lindley's who
throughout the middle ages were to become an important
family in Yorkshire.
in the 12th century the Lindley's moved to the next township
of Leathley when the township became part of the Forest of
Knaresborough but returned to Lindley after the signing of
the Magna Carta.
de Lindeley was at Lindley in 1378 and is described as an
Armiger, a William de Lindley became Lord of Farnley a
township to the east in about 1230, the Lindley's continued
as Lords of the Manor of Leathley until the 1524 period when
Isobel the sole heiress of Thomas Lindley of Lindley married
Brian Palmes of a York family. During this time the
Lindley's became established at Otley and are named in many
during the 15th century a branch of the family became
established at Leathley and at Skutterskelf in Cleveland,
this is shown in the Will of Thomas Lindley gent., in which
he mentions his son and heir Percival and William Lindley of
Leathley, amongst his possessions he mentions "My suit of
armour in the tower at Hexham". In a footnote of the extract
of the will there is a reference to Skutterskelf and the
Gower family, So now we
have an ancient family land owning and
with some influence in three locations, Lindley, Leathley
and Skutterskelf in Cleveland.
out more about the armigerous connections of the Lindley's
we must turn to the Heralds Visitations of the 16th and 17th
centuries and Glovers Ordinary, these show clearly that the
three branches of the family were arms bearing.
original Arms of the family were "Argent on a Chief Sable
three Griffins heads erased Argent" this is a simple design
and almost certainly of an early period as shields tended to
be of a simple pattern in earlier times. The three branches
of the family had differences to distinguish them from each
Lindley of Lindley
ARMS: Argent on a chief Sable 3
Griffin heads erased Argent
Thomas Lindley's Will of 1439 he leaves his son and heir
Percival his land and property in Lindley and personal
effects of silver spoons and covered cups. Percival his son
is mentioned in records of Otley dated June 3rd 18 Edward
(1478) that he holds land and tenements in Lindley by
Military service. Most influential people of this period had
some connection with the Military such as Lords of the Manor
who, because of the land and property they owned they were
expected to provide men and arms in support of the King.
In the Will of Thomas
Lindley of Lindley 1439, he mentions 'My Brother Robert' as
well as Percival below. (See notes about
Robert Lindley).( My thanks to
John Lindley of North Yorkshire for the information)
Percival's Will of 1495 mentions land in
Skegby, Nottinghamshire and he leaves this as well
as personal effects to his son and heir Thomas. Other
bequests were also made to the Churches of Otley and
Leathley and the Chapels of Stainburn and Farnley.
Thomas had exchanged land in Stainburn for the Abbeys
(Fountains) tofts in Otley.
Thomas's Will of 1524 it shows that he had no male heir, but
had two co-heiresses, his daughters, Isabel and Elizabeth.
The two daughters both married into arms bearing families,
Isabel into the York family of Palmes and Elizabeth into the
family of Everingham.
death of Thomas in 1524 not having a male heir the Lindley
family of Lindley ceased and the Palmes family through the
marriage of Isabel to Bryan Palmes became the principal
owner of the Manor of Lindley. However, Bryan Palmes only
lived for a further three years leaving his son Francis to
continue the Palmes line at Lindley. Isabel Palmes (nee
Lindley) then married Sir Thomas Johnson of Northumberland
Arms - Argent on a chief
griffins heads erased Argent
1. B.I.H.R. Vol 3 Fol
2. Y.A.S. (Record
Series) Vol X111 Page 15
3. B.I.H.R. Prob Reg V 3
ff 338 R-V
4. Fountains Abbey Lease
Book Page 256
5. B.I.H.R. Vol 9 Fol
6. B.I.H.R. V11B f 513 r
Lindley of Leathley
Leathley St Oswalds
A branch of the
Lindley's had been established at Leathley by the mid
fifteenth century as William Lindley of Leathley was
mentioned in the Will of 1539 of Thomas Lindley of Lindley.
Heralds Visitation of 1612 shows a pedigree of a Christopher
Lyndley clearly as the head of the family in the early part
of the sixteenth century. The Will of Christopher Lyndley of
1540 shows him to be a wealthy man with the number of farms
he bequeathed to various members of his family. Christopher
had several sons, but with Lawrence being his heir.
Ermine on a Chief Sable 3 Eagles heads erased Argent
South West Front
The hall stands on a
elevated site on the slope of a hill, south of Bradford,
commands wide views over the adjoining countryside. The
ground to the west of the hall slopes steeply away offering
a good natural defence and the other may have been protected
by a wall and ditch. The hall has two fronts, the south,
flanked at each end by a square tower, and the north, a
centre with two wings. At first glance the building appears
to be symmetrical but closer study of the south front shows
that although the doors match the windows on each side of
the hall are balanced they are of different kinds. It has
taken several centuries of alterations and additions to the
existing medieval building to bring about this symmetry.
housebody was used in the West Riding in the sixteenth and
seventeenth centuries for the room which was the most
important in the house. the significance of the present
housebody in the seventeenth century can be gauged from the
size of the window, which contains and important collection
of heraldic stained glass. Much of this glass had been
removed from Bolling Hall in 1825 and had been taken to Copt
Hewick Hall near Ripon, but in 1949 it was presented back to
the city by Mr. R.R. Ackernley, through the Bradford
Historical and Antiquarian Society. Also included in the
gift were nine armorial panels of a later date from another
of the Copt Hewick windows. They were all immediately taken
to York to be cleaned and repaired for they were still
covered by black paint, and it was there discovered that the
Bolling glass was both older and more interesting than had
been assumed. It was also in its original lead. It was then
decided to place all the glass which was associated with the
Bolling armorial glass in the Copt Hewick window in the two
lower tiers of the dining hall window. The quarries and
panes which had been found in the tower shaft were moved to
the top row of lights and the six modern shields placed in
the window of the central staircase. As this had rather
pseudo-Gothic arrangement in plain glass these shields
improved it's appearance immensely. The nine later panels,
which were larger than the older glass, were inserted in the
lower panes of the two late eighteenth century windows of
Room 9, once Captain Charles Wood's dining room.
The Central Hall
Detail of House
are now forty-seven shields, panes and quarries in the
middle and bottom row of lights in the dining hall window.
Of these the most important is a set of twenty-four shields
of arms surrounded by wreaths. These are nearly all of early
sixteenth century date and the wreaths with one exception
are in black enamel and yellow stain. There is also a set of
six seventeenth century quarries bearing the arms of local
families and a shield of a different type in a small pane.
These are in enamel colours. Four panes bear ciphers. Two of
these have obviously been part of a set and have the
monograms W.C. and S.C. and the date 1690; above the
initials in the surrounding foliage decoration is written
William Clifton and Susannah Clifton. Another pane with
three figures, apparently those of Susannah and the Elders,
may have been part of the set. On one pane is a true lover's
knot and the initials I.I.E. with the sun above; on another
I.I. in a true lover's knot with a purple tulip above and
the date 1703 below. A set of eight allegorical panes of
Dutch or Flemish work is of a kind often found in English
houses in the seventeenth century. there are two badly
damaged Dutch panes with animals and a church quarry with a
bird in black enamel outline.
Another View of the Central
shields in wreaths which make slightly irregular circles
between eleven and twelve inches in diameter are in the
following order, in a double row in the ten bottom lights
with the remaining four in the middle tier. The list begins
from the left of the photograph with the upper shield in
each light given first. Where a name is in italics it means
that the name in that form is written over the shield;
unless it is stated otherwise the initial letter is in the
round Lombardic form and the remainder in the black letter
which began to oust it in the fifteenth century. They are
all scraped out of the black enamel. Unless a charge is said
to be abraded it is leaded in separately.
1 a. Gules a fess argent
bewteen 3 water bougets ermine - Meeres
b. Sable a fess between
3 fleur de lys argent - Welby
2 a. Quarterly 1 and 4
Or a lion azure (Percy) 2 and 3 Gules 3 luces (pikes) argent
(Lucy) - Northumberland The luces are abraded.
b. Argent 3 hammers
sable (Hamberton impaling Argent a bend between 6 stormcocks
sable Tempest) - Hamton
This shield has been repaired
3 a. Quarterly within a
border gobony azure and ermine 1 and 4 France
modern 2 and 3 England -
My lady the king's mother. Margaret Beaufort,
Countess of Richmond and Derby, mother of Henry V11. The
leopards are abraded.
b. Gules 3 tirrits or (Tyrrwhit)-
Tirwhite, A punning or cantling coat. Tirrits are
lapwings. The gold is yellow stain.
4 a. Gules 3 scallop
shells argent - Dacre.
b. Chequy azure and or a
fess gules - Clifford. The name is almost obliterated
Clifford of Skipton. The gold is yellow stain.
5 a. Sable an escutcheon
ermine an orle of marlets argent - Bolling.The name was
there but has been deliberately scratched away.
b. Quarterly, 1 Argent on a bend sable 3
bucks heads or (Stanley). 2 Gules 3 legs conjoined argent
spurred or (Affleck of Man). 3 Chequy or and azure (Warenne).
4 Or on a chief azure 3 plates (Lathom) - Stanley. The bucks
heads are in yellow stain applied to the plain glass. the
shield is fifteenth century and is in a green wreath.
6 a. Tempest impaling
sable fretty argent a label of 3 points gules (Harington) -
Tempest with a black letter initial. The label is
probably a patch.
b. Stanley as above but
on an escutcheon of pretence azure a lion argent
(Montalt) - Stanley
with a black letter initial. The bend in the first
quarter is azure and the
legs of Man are abraded. All the gold is yellow stain.
7 a. Gules a bend ermine
(Rye of Bosberton) - Tempest.
b. Quarterly, 1 and 4
Azure a bend or (Scroope) 2 and 3 argent a saltire engrailed
gules (Tiptoft) - Scrappe.
Scroope of Bolton.
Quarterly, 1 and 4 England 2 and 3 France modern a lable of
3 points argent. Probably the arms of Arthur Tudor, elder
brother of Henry V111 The eopards are abraded.
b. Gules 2 chevrons
argent an annulet of the second - Pannel The name is
9 a. Gules 3 chevronels
braced argent on a chief azure a leopard passant or -
Mallam. This is
Malham of Elslack. the detail of the leopard has pratically
b. Or a lion azure -
Percy of Northumberland. This is a fourteenth century shield
made up of twenty six separate pieces. The pot-metal gold is
diapered with black enamel.
Gules 3 running greyhounds argent collared or (Mauleverer) -
The king f England. This heading is a mistake.
Possibly some glazier working from a rough sketch mistook
the greyhounds for the leopards of England. It is a canting
coat; the French word for greyhound is levrier. b. Sable 2
lions passant argent crowned or - Dymock. Dymoke of
The second row of
2 A patched shield with
a green cross. The 3rd quarter appears to be part of a
larger Tempest shield - Bischop of
4 Baron argent a cross
sable impaling argent on a cross gules a bezant. Sinister
quarterly or and gules 1 and 4 a marlet vert - Puresme.
So far this shield has not been identified and it may be a
7 Argent on a bend
sinister sable a bezant - Pynchbek Pinchbeck.
9 Quarterly of six. 1
Gules on a saltire argent a pellet (probably an annuletis
intended for Neville, Lord Latimer). 2 Gules a fess between
4 crosslets or (Beauchamp of Warwick). 3 Chequy azure and or
a chevron ermine (Newburgh).4 Gules a chevron between 4
crosses formy argent
(Berkeley). 5 Gules a
leopard argent crowned or (Gerold for Lisle).
6 Argent a chevron gules
(Tyas) - Lattemar. Neville, Lord Latimer.
is yellow stain. There should be 6 crosslets in the
Beauchamp quarter and 10 crosses in the Berkeley but they
are leaded in, not abraded and the glass painter obviously
found the space at his disposal too small.
The set of seventeenth
century quarries is in the two central lights .From top to
bottom they are as follows:
5 a. Gules a fess
between 6 garbs or - Midgeley.
b. Argent a lion's head
between 3 bugle horns stringed sable - Bradford of Heath.
c. Argent a chevron
sable between 3 thorn trees proper - Thornton of Tyersal.
6 a. Argent a cockatrice
sable - Langley.
b. Argent 2 bars sable
each charged with 3 mullets or -Hopton
10 Gules 3 acorns
slipped or - motto Vitria Vita. Probably the arms of de
Hennezel, a family of
glass painters who left the Continent during the religious
persecutions and settled in Staffordshire and Gateshead on
The Blue Room
J. C. Brook , F.S.A.,
Somerset Herald, visited the Hall in 1774 and possibly again
in 1783, while collecting material for his History of
Yorkshire. He died before it was written but his manuscripts
are at the College of Arms and the authorities their kindly
allowed access to them. He listed the arms as follows,
commenting that some were ancient and had the names written
1, Pinchbeck; 2,
Dacre; 3, Mallom; 4, Gules 3 ..... passant
argent. This is probably the Mauleverer shield although
Brook does not say so. 5, Or a lion rampant azure - Lacy.
This a probably a copyist's error for Percy. 6,
Northumberland; 7, Gules a fess between 3 water bougets
ermine. This is the Meeres shield 8, Clifford; 9, Scroope
and Tiptoft; 10, Sable 2 bars inter 3 Fleur de lys argent -
Welby. This shield is made up of two pieces of glass
and it is the lead join which makes the fess look like two
bars. 11, Panell; 12, Tempest impaling argent fretty and a
canton sable - Middleton of Stockeld. This is the
Tempest/Harington shield. There is no canton sable now but
perhaps the upper part of the sinister half is a patch. 13,
Sable an escutcheon ermine an orle of owls argent - Bowling.
The birds are marlets. 14, France modern quartering England
a label of 3 points argent - Prince of Wales. The quarters
are reverse. 15, Broken, but " & Tempest" written over it.
This may be the patched shield in the second light of the
middle row but it distinctly begins with Bischop and does
not seem to follow " & Tempest" 16, Dymmok; 17, My
Lady the King's Mother; 18, Stanley. Probably the earlier
unnamed shield is intended here. 19, ---quarterly or and
gules in 1st and 4th a parrot vert. This must be the Puresme
coat. 20, Latimer.
He also lists the seven
shields in enamel colours now in the central lights and in
addition gives the following:-
Argent on a chief sable 3 griffins heads erased argent with
helm and mantle. This is for Lindley. 2, Ermine 3 lozenges
conjoined in fess sable. Crest on a wreath a wolf's head
erased - Pigott; 3, Argent a chevron inter 3 griffins
passant sable. Crest a Pegasus - Finch. Francis Lindley 11
married Carolina Finch, 4, Azure on a mount vert 3 naked men
in fesse with clubs and shields. Crest a like naked man -
Wood; 5, On a wreath argent and sable a Pegasus rising
argent winged and ducally charged or -Finch; 6, On a wreath
argent and sable a griffin passant argent beaked or -
Lindley. There was a second Lindley crest and F.L. in a
cipher with 1695 below and F.C.L. 1696 for Francis Lindley
and Carolina Finch.
In a staircase window
were the following arms which Brook said were old:-
Tyrrwhit; 2, Hamerton; 3, Stanley with
quarterings as in number 18. This is probably the later coat
as it was apparently named although Brook does not mention
the Montalt escutcheon. 4, Rye - Tempest. Also the
motto "Lowyf as thou fynds". This is still in Bolling Hall
and in a staircase window although probably not the same
one. When Mr. Mason left Bolling he sent the glass quarries
on which the motto is given four times, to Colonel Plumbe
Tempest of Tong Hall sine the Tempests of Tong were
descended from the Tempests of Bolling and this was their
motto. The late Mrs. H.F.M. Tempest gave the glass to the
city when Bolling Hall became as Museum.
In the glass door
leading into the garden:-
3 tigers' heads erased argent impaling Tempest - Halsall;
2, Argent 3 boars' heads erased sable (Booth) quartering
argent a fess engrailed sable - Boothe; 3, Lindley
crest. This door has not been identified but may have been
the present south entrance.
In a window of the
1. Tempest quartering
Hebdon ermine a fess lozengy gules; 2, Chequy or and azure a
fess gules - Clifford. Two other broken shields.
be observed that all the shields which Brook saw in the
window of the dining hall have survived with the exception
of the Lindley, Finch, Pigott and Wood arms, crests and
ciphers, so have the shields in the staircase window.
Whether the "fragments of evident antiquity" seen by
Cudworth were the remains of the arms in the garden and the
gallery will probably never be known.
stonework of windows was renewed in 1963, the glass was
resisted to better advantage. Most of the twenty four
shields in the window date from about 1500 and relate to the
development of the Hall by the Tempests in the early
sixteenth century. The Bolling and Tempest Arms are here,
together with those shown of many other families, some of
whom are connected with the Tempests. the small panes of
stained glass are mainly seventeenth century in date, some
of them were originally at Bierley Hall.
The Lindley connection
had many well known inhabitants including Ilbert de Lacy and
Sir Richard Tempest. Sir Henry Savile of Thornhill Green
bought the Hall in 1649 from the Tempest family and liver
there for twenty years before selling to Francis Lindley of
Hull (grandson of Nicholas Lindley Lord Mayor of Hull and a
younger brother of the ancient family of Lindley of
Lindley), the arms of which are Argent on a chief sable 3
griffins heads erased argent in the fess point a trefoil
slipped gules. Francis Lindley took possession of the Hall
in 1680 but probably never lived there and died in the
of Francis also a Francis married a Caroline Finch of Kent
in 1695, he was High Sheriff of of the county of Lancaster
and Keeper of the West Riding Registers. The Hall eventually
passed to Francis Lindley Wood and through him to Lord
Extracts from The
Bradford Antiquary New Series Part xxxix, 1958
Armorial Glass at
Bolling Hall by Sylvia C. Priest, M.A.
HISTORIC BUILDINGS AND THE LINDLEY'S
the Norman conquest the lands around Middleham were owned by
Gilpatric but in 1069 they were granted to Alan the Red, son
of count Eudo of Penthievre in Britony and one of William
the Conqueror's chief supporters.
built his principal castle (probably the motte and bailey
style) at Richmond. Before 1080 Middleham was granted by
Alan to his brother Ribald and the property remained with
his descendants until 1270 when the last of the line died
without male heirs.
Middleham passed by marriage to Richard de Nevill and this
illustrious family who had Middleham in their possession
until 1471 when Richard, Earl of Warwick was slain at the
battle of Barnet and Richard, Duke of Gloucester (later
Richard 111) was granted Warwick's estates north of the
Trent which included Middleham. Richard died in 1485 and
Middleham and it's estates were seised by Henry 7 and
remained in Royal ownership
the castle was granted by James 1 to Sir Henry Lindley (son
of Lawrence Lindley of Leathley). In Sir Henry's Will of
1609 (Borthwick Institute) he mentions "my castle at
Middleham" and there is record of occupation during the
Lindley ownership. After Sir Henry's death his brother John
Lindley of Leathley took over the ownership.
the castle passed to Edward 2nd Viscount Loftus by his
marriage to Jane Lindley of Leathley, daughter of John
Lindley of Leathley, so here again we have proof of the
Lindley influence in Yorkshire.
Views of Middleham
Families and the Lindley's
The Lindley's married
into many prominent families both from the north of England
and further a field, the following is a list of the families
and their arms and some pedigrees.
1 BANKE OF BANKE NEWTON
Arms - Sable a cross
engrailed between four fleur de lis argent
2 BRANDLING OF LEATHLEY
Arms - Gules a cross
flory Argent in the dexter chief point an escallop Or a
crescent for difference
3 CATRALL OF RATHMELL
Arms - Azure 3 mascles
Or overall a bendlet Gules
Arms - Or a Raven proper
Arms - Ermines a lion
6 EVERINGHAM Co YORK
Arms - Gules a lion
rampant vair crowned Or
7 FAWKES OF WOODHALL
Arms - Ermine a mascle
8 FINCH OF KENT
Arms - Argent a chevron
between three griffins passant
Arms - Gules a bend
between two dolphins embowed Argent
10 GOWER OF SEXHOW
Arms - Azure a chevron
between three hounds Argent
Visitation of Yorkshire
1612 page 541 states that the hounds are sejant, but
Papworth does not describe the hounds position
Arms - Or a maunch Sable
12 LEVITT OF MELTON
Arms - Sable a fess
embattled between three leopards heads erased Argent langued
13 PALMES OF NABURNE
Arms - Gules three fleur
de lis Argent a chief Vair a crescent for difference
n the Fountains Abbey Leasebook dated lst
July 30 Henry V111 (1538) (Yorkshire Archaeological series
ref 140 Doncaster Library) there is a reference on page 258
to the appointment of a steward of court and auditor.
Appointment of Steward
of Court and Auditor.
by Abbot Marmaduke and the Convent of Fountains (by their
unanimous agreement) to Christopher Lindley of Leathley for
the faithful service he has done in the past to the abbot
and convent and their monastery, of the office of steward of
courts of the the manors, lands and tenements in Yorkshire
except their courts in the county of Craven and also these
presents appoint him auditor of stock of the monastery, to
hold this office for life, he or his deputy to take 26s 8d
per annum for exercising the office and 10s for the office
This evidence is proof
of the power and influence of the Lindley's of Leathley in
their stewardship of Fountains Abbey and indeed the
Christopher died in 1540 (Will 1540 Borthwick Institute) but
was probably doing the job for many years prior to the grant
The Otley Brass
(All Saints' Church Otley)
Otley All Saints
Genealogical Plate of
the Lynlay and Palmes Family 1593
The Otley Brass
Otley brass is one of the most well known monumental
inscriptions of any church in Yorkshire, if not the country
and one that has been recorded many times.
inscription on the last roundel recording the pedigree of
the Palmes family, viz, "Francis cum hered Hadnall Supertes
1593", it may be inferred that this very curious and
interesting plate was erected by Francis Palmes during his
lifetime, to set forth the alliance of the Lyndlay and
Palmes families, and to state that many of the Lyndlay's and
the last two of the Palmes were buried in the church. The
accompanying illustration reproduced from a very careful
rubbing taken by Mr. A. Ridley Bax, F.S.A., in 1895, will
best explain the design of this plate. In the lower part is
the figure of a man (Francis Palmes) recumbent on a
mattress, one end of which is curled up to form a pillow for
the head. He is represented with beard and moustache, the
hands raised in prayer, and wears a ruff, doublet and short
cloak. By his side is a sword. From this figure springs a
tree, with roundels bearing the names and recording the
various alliances of the Lyndlay family on the dexter, and
of the Palmes family on the sinister side, these unite with
the marriage of Brian Palmes with Isobel, daughter and
co-heiress of Thomas Lyndlay. This Brian died on the 19th of
October, 1528, aged 29, and was succeeded by his son
Francis, who married Margaret daughter of Roger Corbett of
Norton Shropshire. He died in 1568, aged 44 and was
succeeded by his son Francis, the erector of this plate.
centre of the upper part of the plate is a shield,
surmounted by a helmet, crest and mantling. The shield is
blazoned as follows-
Quarterly of six 1 and 6 Gules three fleur de lis Argent a
chief Vair with a crescent for difference - PALMES 2 Ermines
a lion passant Gules - DREW 3 Gules a bend between two
dolphins embowed Argent - FRENCH 4 Argent on a bend Azure
three mullets Argent - WYNARD 5 Argent on a chief Sable
three griffins heads erased Argent - LYNDLAY
A hand holding a palm branch proper charged on the wrist
with a crescent for difference -PALMES
Below the shield is the
motto Justus vt Palma
At the four corners of
the plate are shields, viz, (upper dexter) Lyndlay, (upper
sinister) Palmes, (lower dexter) Or a maunche Sable -
HADNALL (lower sinister) Or a raven proper - CORBETT
At the head of the plate
are two Latin verses, which translated read-
No figment of the
herald's craft, nor venally procured,
monuments declare a race of worth assured.
Most of the
Lindlay's ancient stock within these walls do
The two last
corpses of the Palmes' are also layed there-by
Assur'ed fame is
not of man - idle his every deed,
illustrious descent alone to honour tend. That
truth, the just like Palmes shall flourish wide,
For the rich
virtues of the soul no sepulchre can hide.
The plate which measures
29.5 by 17.5 inches, is affixed to the wall of the North
Palmes, of Lyndley, a justice of the peace for the West
Riding of Yorkshire in the second year of King James,
married Mary, daughter and co-heiress of Stephen Hadnall of
Shervil in the county of Southampton.
Lindley of Scutterskelf
Arms- Argent on a bend Sable
three griffins heads erased Argent
branch of the Lindley's was noted in Dalton's Visitation to
Durham in 1558 and also St. George's visitation to Yorkshire
in 1612. Thomas Lindley of Scutterskelf appears to be be
last of his line as the property was divided between his
three daughters. In his Will of 1530 he is leaving property
and goods to the Latons, Kighleys and Milner families of
which his three daughters had married into, all these
families were arms bearing.
In the Heralds
Visitation of Yorkshire 1575 it shows the Latons of Sexhow
quartering that of Lindley of Scutterskelf and Gower of
Rudby all Saints' Church
Rudby All Saints' Church
parish of Rudby-in-Cleveland lies astride the River Leven at
the foot of the Cleveland Hills and today is made up of
Hutton and Rudby townships as well as the chapelry of
Middleton-on-Leven. Immediately after the Norman invasion of
1066, however, the parish included Hutton, Whorlton, Hilton,
Middleton and Rownton, all seventh century Angle
settlements, together with Rudby, Seamer, Skutterskelf,
Sexhow, Braworth and Thoraldby, all of ninth century Danish
origin, infilling the land between the Angle settlements. At
this time, Rudby parish was in the hands of Robert Mortain,
half brother to William the Conqueror.
Doomsday Book entry of 1086 shows that North Yorkshire
suffered badly from William's "Harrying of the North" in
1069/70 - only Middleton and Whorlton remained inhabited -
but mention is made of a, presumably pre-conquest, church at
The exact site of this
first church is not known, but it's presence specifically in
the Hutton area indicates that it is unlikely to have
occupied the site of the present All Saints.
All Saints' church dates
from the second half of the twelfth century, typical of a
period which saw a nationwide replacement of pre-conquest
timber churches with Norman stone buildings.
Built half way between
Hutton and Rudby, it's position is something of a mystery.
It was not situated near a manor house and is particularly
unsuitable as a place of defence or refuge, being at the
foot of two hills. One possibility is that it was seen as a
site for some sort of monastic institution, since the
location itself is reminiscent on a smaller scale of big
monastic sites such as Fountains, Rievaulx, Easby and
Kirkham. The attractive setting of All Saints' "in the glade
by the Leven" must remain something of an enigma, as does
the date, origin and uses of the moated area (now the
graveyard) to the north of the church.
There are two features
that connect the Lindley family with the church they are the
Elizabethan pulpit and the Thomas Mylner memorial.
The Elizabethan pulpit
the church's greatest treasure, Pevsner, in his excellent
"Yorkshire : North Riding" (1966) calls it "a delightful and
precious piece". It's square box shape is unusual and it's
inlaid marquetry panels were re-discovered by chance earlier
this century, after being hidden for years under five coats
of paint. It was given in 1594 by Thomas Milner, a member of
the local Linly family, who intermarried with the Laytons of
pulpit is a shield in wood. Quarterly 1 and 4 (Argent) on a
chief (Sable) three griffins heads erased (Argent) - LINDLEY
2 and 3 A chevron between three talbots passant - ?- I
believe this to be the arms of Gower who married into the
Lindley family in earlier times.
North wall opposite the pulpit is an impressive stone
memorial to Thomas Mylner, the shield above being in very
poor condition, but appears to have been the same as that on
The text in modern form
Thomas Lynly Esquire married
Margery the second
daughter of Sir Thomas
Newport Knight and
had issue Elizabeth, married
to Joseph Sorthwaitl
ale Mylner Esquire who had
issue Thomas Mylner
Who married Frances the
daughter of William
Baites Esquire who had issue
Mary who was married
To Charles Layton Esquire and
Sir Thomas Laiton Knight.
Here lyeth the body of Thomas
the 8th November 1594
three branches of Lindley of Lindley, Leathley and
Sckutterskelf show in their pedigrees they married into arms
bearing families in the north of England and later extended
their lands and influence into Nottingham and Kent as can be
seen from the following:-
General Armory gives on gives on page 609
Lindley of Skegby (Notts) Extinct in the male line in 1758
on the death of John Lindley, Esq., of Skegby.
Argent on a chief Sable three griffin heads erased Argent.
Henry Lindley (of Leathley Knighted on the field at Ofally
30th July 1599 at the rising of the camp immediately after
Sable on a chief Argent three eaglets displayed Sable.
Lindley of Middleham Castle Impalment (marriage arms) on a
funeral certificate entry, Ulster Office 1680 Edward Loftus
of Ely, whose wife was Jane daughter of Arthur Lindley of
Sable a chevron Ermine between three trefoils slipped Or -
gives a different spelling of the name as Lyndley of Lyndley
William Lyndley eldest son of Percival Lyndley temp. Henry
V1 (1422-1461) left two daughters his co-heiresses
(Visitation of Notts 1614)
Arms as No. 1.
5- Lyndley of Skegby Co.
(Visitation of Notts 1614) great grandson of Thomas Lyndley
second son of Percival Lyndley, Esq., Co. York temp. Henry
Arms as No. 1.
Lindley's were certainly a big land and property owning
family in Yorkshire, Nottinghamshire and Kent, this is clear
from the various Wills which mention the above places. They
married into many arms bearing families as can be observed
from the various Visitations and pedigrees.
direct male line of the family appears to have died out, but
more research would need to be done to trace the second and
subsequent sons as the name is quite prolific in many parts
of Yorkshire today.
Visitation of Yorkshire in 1612 clearly blazons on page 547
the arms of Lindley of Leathley as - Argent on a chief Sable
three griffins heads erased Argent.
Manuscript document attached Minster Library MS/Add/164/1
blazons the arms of Lindley of Leathley as - Ermine on a
chief Sable three eaglets heads erased Argent.
Manuscript was compiled by John Hopkinson in the late 18th
or early 19th century who was a genealogist and historian of
some repute in Yorkshire. The manuscript gives the pedigree
of Christopher Lindley of Leathley which is the same as the
Visitation of 1612.
Whitaker Vol.2 page 78 1816 a Yorkshire historian also
blazons Lindley of Leathley arms as - Ermine on a chief
Sable three eaglets heads erased Argent.
find any arms in Papworth or Burkes General Armoury for
Lindley of Leathley, only for Lindley of Lindley.
The only conclusion I
have reached is:-
(a) A new grant was made
by the College of Arms after the last of the visitation in
(b) The Manuscript
document is incorrect as far as the blazonis concerned, the
only way to prove this would be to contact the College of
Arms and ask them to check the grants.
My thanks to John
Lindley of Wigginton North Yorks for his comments on the
My thanks to Hugh Murray
of York, who is an expert on Heraldry and has verified that
the Arms are correct.
Also to Dr G. Redmonds
for his assistance in the 'Origins' of Lindley.
Please note that that
there are no comers, full stops in describing coats of arms.
Back to Home